RICHMOND, Va. (WVIR) – Governor Ralph Northam signed 80 new items of laws into regulation Friday, March 12.
The governor’s workplace mentioned in a press launch that the payments included measures to guard householders from foreclosures, shift municipal elections from Could to November, present monetary help to college students no matter immigration standing, and repeal anti-women’s well being restrictions on the medical health insurance change in Virginia.
“These new measures will assist working Virginians, enhance civic engagement, and assist us proceed constructing a stronger, extra inclusive Commonwealth,” Governor Northam mentioned within the launch. “I’m grateful to the Common Meeting for his or her arduous work on these necessary points, and I’m proud to signal these payments into regulation.”
A few of the new legal guidelines signed by Governor Northam embrace:
- House Bill 2123, sponsored by Delegate Alfonso Lopez, and Senate Bill 1387, sponsored by Senator Jennifer Boysko, make any pupil eligible for state monetary help if they’re eligible for in-state tuition, no matter citizenship or immigration standing. This regulation will take impact August 1, 2022.
- House Bill 2165, sponsored by Delegate Patrick Hope, permits “heirs property” house owners to say property and offers further time to pay delinquent taxes. This regulation is a advice from the Commission to Examine Racial Inequity in Virginia Law established by Governor Northam in 2019.
- House Bill 2175, sponsored by Delegate Luke Torian, and Senate Bill 1327, sponsored by Senator Jennifer McClellan, strengthen protections for householders dealing with foreclosures.
- House Bill 2013, sponsored by Delegate Danica Roem, prohibits college boards from suing households to gather money owed on unpaid college meals.
- Senate Bill 1290, sponsored by Delegate Monty Mason, codifies Governor Northam’s ConserveVirginia program, a data-driven Geographical Info Methods mannequin to prioritize potential conservation areas throughout the Commonwealth.
- House Bill 1896, sponsored by Delegate Sally Hudson, and Senate Bill 1276, sponsored by Senator Jennifer McClellan, take away the prohibition on abortion protection in any certified medical health insurance plan supplied by means of the Virginia state-based change.
- House Bill 2042, sponsored by Delegate Nancy Man, and Senate Bill 1393, sponsored by Senator David Marsden, permit localities to exceed necessities in tree alternative and conservation efforts, together with in improvement tasks.
- Senate Bill 1157, sponsored by Senator Lionell Spruill, Sr., shifts all municipal elections from Could to November, beginning in 2022.
- House Bill 1940, sponsored by Delegate Sam Rasoul, and Senate Bill 1439, sponsored by Senator Jennifer McClellan, direct the Virginia Division of Training to ascertain tips that let center and highschool college students to attend a civic or political occasion and obtain an excused absence.
- House Bill 2110, sponsored by Chief Charniele Herring, and Senate Bill 1391, sponsored by Senator L. Louise Lucas, construct on the work began by the Virginia State Crime Fee to gather and research pretrial information throughout Virginia, together with bail, conviction, and sentencing info.
- House Bill 2250, sponsored by Delegate Kaye Kory, and Senate Bill 1379, Senator Jennifer Boysko, prohibit the testing of cosmetics on animals and the promoting of cosmetics which were examined on animals starting in 2022.
Click here for the full list of payments signed by Governor Northam from the 2021 particular session.
Copyright 2021 WVIR. All rights reserved.