Baty Otto Coronado expanded its litigation practice to include the attorneys and staff of Schlee & McCarthy. The Schlee & McCarthy attorneys who have joined Baty Otto Coronado’s Kansas City, Missouri, office expand the firm’s national reach and enhance the firm’s litigation practice in the areas of propane and natural gas.
“Baty Otto Coronado continues a long, distinguished history of defending corporations, including product manufacturers; construction and trucking companies; public entities; insurers; and individuals in civil litigation,” says Lee Baty, partner of the firm. “The Schlee & McCarthy attorneys join the firm in time to celebrate the firm’s 100-year history in the state of Missouri.”
The new attorneys are:
- Vince McCarthy, a shareholder in Baty Otto Coronado’s Kansas City office. McCarthy has represented clients in natural gas and propane fire and explosion cases and claims since he began practicing law in 1987. He also has represented clients in products liability cases involving a variety of other products such as truck-mounted aerial ladders and cranes, forklifts, fertilizer mixers and trash trucks. He has defended personal injury and death cases involving vehicular collisions, power line contacts and rail crossing collisions. McCarthy has handled insurance coverage, environmental recovery, employment, trade secret and other commercial litigation. He has represented clients in litigation and other matters in more than 40 states.
- Mike Schaefer, a partner with Baty Otto Coronado. Schaefer defends clients in a broad range of civil litigation matters, including commercial and business litigation, products liability, and tort and personal injury. He brings experience in litigation involving general commercial and business matters, propane products and equipment, natural gas products, food products, tort and personal injury, and real estate services. Other areas of representation have included appellate practice, class action, secured transaction issues, Packers and Stockyards Act and accounting malpractice.
- Daniel Young, senior counsel. Young has practiced in Kansas City for more than 30 years. Following a U.S. District Court clerkship, he represented clients in trial courts and on appeal in a wide range of complex litigation, including work for the propane industry in personal injury, commercial and regulatory disputes, legal ethics and malpractice, class actions, corporate and securities litigation, bankruptcy and redevelopment law. Young has also written and lectured on topics of appellate litigation and legal ethics. He is a past vice chair of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association appellate practice committee.
- David Schlee. Schlee has been lead defense counsel in more than 1,000 gas-related lawsuits, claims and investigations for over 35 years throughout the U.S. He has tried cases in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, New Jersey, Florida and the District of Columbia, and has handled litigation in 48 states. Schlee has consulted with numerous gas suppliers regarding safety and litigation defense programs and policies and is a frequent lecturer on gas litigation and safety issues.
- Lou Huber. Huber has practiced as a trial attorney in Kansas City for more than 40 years. He has represented clients in civil litigation matters involving commercial disputes, class actions, product liability, propane and natural gas, asbestos, multi-piece tire rims, automobile accidents, construction claims, injunctions, securities law and personal injuries (both for plaintiffs and defendants). He has tried personal injury, wrongful death and commercial cases in Missouri, Kansas, California, Texas, Florida, Michigan, Georgia and Louisiana and has been the lead lawyer in major cases in over 30 states. Huber has also represented debtors, secured and unsecured creditors and creditors’ committees in bankruptcy cases in both Missouri and Kansas.
Baty Otto Coronado celebrates its 100-year anniversary and recently relocated its Kansas City office to new offices in One Main Plaza at 4435 Main St. The firm, with 26 attorneys and offices in Kansas City, St. Louis and Springfield, Missouri, serves clients throughout the U.S. in both state and federal courts. Baty Otto Coronado has argued cases in the Missouri and Kansas appellate courts, and several of the firm’s attorneys are admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Featured image: arthobbit/iStock/Getty Images